Friday 2 September 2011

Thing 15: Events etc.

I have attended many events in my professional career but I am still nervous every time due to the pressure of networking and getting the most out of the investment. Relaxing and trying to take in the picture is a good advice that I will try next time.

I am terrified of public speaking so being a speaker is a hard task for me. It is something I would like more practice of but don't like the idea of inflicting it on myself. I have done it twice and it's not as bad as I fear but still very stressful. I have learnt that the audience always want me to do well so I shouldn't worry about them. An advice that I received and found it very useful is "it's not about me". I'm doing it for my audience's benefit. This mantra helps me focus and pay attention to my audience and their reactions which means that I forget how nervous I am.

I am part of a CILIP CDG committee so I do help out with organising small training sessions and visits etc. It's a great way to learn new skills. I certainly recommend it. I am an introvert so being part of a group helps draw me out of my shell. I just need to work on my communication skills a bit harder especially how to talk to strangers!

1 comment:

  1. I can identify with everything you say - I am a fellow terrified public speaker! Maybe we should form a support group!!


    fictionfotos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete