Saturday 16 July 2011

Thing 5 Reflecting

It's been a while since I reflect and find it difficult to do so now. With practice it becomes easier but there is never enough time in the day to sit and think and write and rewrite. Not for me anyway. I am a slow thinker and it takes me even longer to put my thoughts into proper English which people understand. So far cpd23 proves to be a learning experience. I feel a sense of achivement accomplishing the tasks that  are set each week. It's entirely different to think that I know how to do something than actually doing it. There are many things that I think I know how to do. cpd23 requires me to prove it.

RSS feed is something that I thought I knew but never managed to get it working, if it worked it was by accident. After the exercise, I feel confident that I understand how it works and have managed to subscribe to feeds and found them afterward. I felt even better when I was able to explain it to my boss how it works. It's a useful tool that I can make use at work and at home. I prefer to use Google Reader because it means that I can read the feeds on any computer with internet access. But some sites do not give the option to choose a reader which means that I am tied to a certain computer which isn't as convenient. My solution at the moment is subscribing to the sites on multiple computers which can be time consuming.
Twitter is something that I would like to exploit further. It's so useful to keep up-to-date with developments in rda. Previously I have only used it at home and on my blackberry but have since convinced my employer that it's necessary for work so it is no longer blocked from my work computer. It's a result that I am proud of.

Something else that I am pleased about and it's all down to committing myself to cpd23 is my initiative to set up a real life networking opportunity for information workers in the Peterborough area. I was going to attend the Cambridge event but after I have spoken to my colleagues I decided to take my own advice and be proactive and set one up myself. It was a last minute thing but I am receiving support from others who are advertising the event widely so I am hoping it will be a successful event with many people showing up. I feel empowered and confident for taking responsibilty and be an activist for what I am passionate about. I am quite shy so this is quite an achievement for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment