Sunday 24 July 2011

Thing 7 real life networking

I enjoy online networking because it's easy but nothing can beat real life networking when it works. It's fun, satisfying and rewarding to meet new people. But it's hard! For me anyway.  I think it requires more committment and dedication. It's expensive so opportunities can be hard to come by. So when it does happen there's the pressure to network and that takes the enjoyment out of the process.

I am naturally shy and an introvert so finds it very hard to make conversation with strangers so do appreciate the professional organisations and groups that create opportunities that bring people together. Like online networking sites, one has to be selective as to which to be part of to get the most out of them. I think that it's better to be an active member of a few rather than trying to be part of too many.

I was encouraged that our networking event at the Brewery Tap in Peterborough was attended by seven people. It tells me that despite the numerous networking sites on the Internet people still want to meet in a face to face environment and connect with others. Great task!

No comments:

Post a Comment