Sunday 10 July 2011

Thing 4

I have done a lot of reading this week and feel as if I am very knowledgeable about the current issues on the subject of technology. I am already using Twitter and follow quite a few librarians and CILIP. I often read the same tweet more than once because people tend to retweet. I find that a waste of time but have also benefited from them so can see the plus side so am willing to tolerate it.  So far I mainly follow and read tweets. With regular usage I think I will feel more confident and use it more often to tweet. Before I start to tweet properly, I will need to investigate tiny url first so that I can include manageable links in my tweets. I find that it's hard to compose a meaningful message with 140 characters without a link to the full story elsewhere. With Twitter being blocked from work it restrict me from using it for work which is an annoyance sometimes. It makes it harder for me to keep in touch in with new developments on subjects like RDA and MARC.

I think I know what RSS is and how to subscribe to one but it never seem to work properly. I can't find the feed that I subscribed to until now! Thanks for the tip about Google Reader. It's great because that means that I can read my feeds from any computers. I have also come across sites that do not allow me to choose a reader when I subscribe. That's not so convenient because the default reader is specific to the machine I am using. I feel great for finally mastering RSS! As a result I have been going around subscribing to all the sites that I regularly visit for news and updates. It's a much more manageable way to keep up to date.

Pushnote is something that I won't be using very often. I can the see the usefulness.  It's not convenient for me because it requires Firefox and it's also block from my work computer. I don't like the fact that I have to download something because it restricts me to one computer. I think I will reserve judgement until I have sufficient time to test it out first.

No comments:

Post a Comment