Monday 8 August 2011

Thing 10 Librarianship qualification

I qualified under the ALA-accredited Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program  in California in 1998. To obtain a library qualification in California it is necessary to first obtain an undergraduate degree and then carry on a further two years for a Master in Library and Information Science. My undergraduate degree is in Social Work. Whilst studying for my Social Work Bachelor degree, I worked in various libraries and loved it so much I decided that I wanted to be a Librarian. I enrolled with the San Jose State University Satelite programme which meant that I was able to study at Fullerton University where I can commute to on a daily basis.

I started my professional post in June 1998 at a public library in Los Angeles County.  In May 2000, I moved to England and started working as an assistant at RNIB Library Service.  I am now a Cataloguing and Technical Support Librarian. I love the system side of my job.  I would really like to become a system librarian one day in a University environment. Unfortunately I don't have a computer qualification so I am considering going back to school part-time to obtain a degree in computer science or something that would give me the knowledge and skills required for a system librarian post.

I am a member of both the American Library Association and CILIP. In 2009 I successfully completed my chartership process and become a CILIP registered chartered librarian. I am proud with this achievement and since then I have registered for revalidation.  I am a bit concerned about the status of libraries and librarians at the moment but I am hoping to stay in the profession for the rest of my working life.

No comments:

Post a Comment