Friday 19 August 2011

Thing 12 Social Media

I like social media.  It has many advatanges which have already been mentioned but I can see at least one disadvantage. It's very time consuming. I know many people who create accounts on many social networking sites but are not actively taking part. It's so easy to laspse even though it's a very convenient way to stay in touch. The rule I use to determine whether I am going to take part in social media is whether I will be contributing regularly or not. If the answer is no then I will not sign up for an account. I like to keep up with what's going on but I just don't have time to take part in everything that's happening on the Internet.

I have used social media a few times for professional development but I am not part of any community. I dip in and out of CILIP blogs and community forums. I created a blog but this is the first time I post regularly to it. I'll try to keep it going after cpd23 finishes.

I have a Twitter account but I don't tweet unless I have something that I think others would like to know and someone else is unlikely to tweet about. That doesn't happen very often so my account is idle most of the time. I do have a group of people that I follow to keep up with developments. Outside of work, I have a Facebook account that I use regularly to keep in touch with my family which works very well.

That's the extent of my social media involvement and I don't see any changes in the future. Although I don't use them I still want to know what they are and how to use them just to keep up to date with changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment